Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Blame it on the SAD

I'm starting this post with a warning - I'm in a mood.

As I sit here in my living room, I look around with complete disgust.

I am usually VERY into the holidays.  As soon as I return to Indianapolis from my parent's home in Chicago (after Thanksgiving), I pull out the huge Rubbermaid bins of decorations at start turning my apartment into a winter wonderland.

Usually my home....with creative liberties.
There is one whole bin of ornaments and another that contains all kitchen stuff - that's right, I have different dishes for the holidays.  That doesn't even begin to tell you about all the stuff I have just for additional decoration.  I LOVE THE HOLIDAYS.

But this year has been strange.  There is none of the usual desire to pull everything out and decorate.  I know that I am going home for Christmas around the 17th, so that might be part of it.  Why decorate when I won't be here to enjoy it?  But even that doesn't seem normal for me.

So I blamed work - I've been busy!  But I don't know if that is really it either.  It seems that, much like the blog writing, I lack the motivation to actually do it.  The strange thing is that in terms of the "Pursuit of Happyness," I am actually happy.  And I still do many of the items on the list (even Nicole probably doesn't realize it!), but there are other things that make me happy outside of those.  The Christmas decorating just doesn't seem to be one of them.

I think there is probably the little voice in my head that wonders if it's because I'm lonely (a little) and there is really no one (besides Bo and Tucker) to decorate for.  I am not sure what the weird non-decorating desire comes from, but it's there.

Now - if you read yesterday, you know that I did actually brave the weather and a STAPLE GUN to decorate outside.  So I can't be completely void of Christmas spirit, right?  And I even put up a tree and put lights on it (and admittedly, the glow in the evenings as I read is quite nice).

I'm beginning to wonder if it's okay to blame it on SAD - you know, the disorder that stems from lack of sunlight and warmth?  I don't think I've ever had it, but this year, I think it's in full force.  At least that's my story.

No comments:

Post a Comment