Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Lions & Tigers....& Spiders! Oh my!

In the process of everything that has been going on, I forgot to share that I had one of those "first" experiences that this blog is supposed to be about!  And besides that, this story really shows how much of a scaredy-cat I really am!

The other morning started out normally.  Wake up, walk the pups, shower, get ready for work.  Until I realized that sometime between walking the dogs and getting ready for work, a visitor had arrived in my apartment.  And it wasn't just any visitor...this one had 8 long legs, a disgusting body, and beady little eyes.

A SPIDER HAD ARRIVED.  And he certainly wasn't tiny.  In fact, it might have been the biggest spider I had ever seen.

Needless to say, I freaked out.  I absolutely HATE spiders.  I don't know why, but for as long I can remember they have been one of the things that I am the most scared of.  And for my whole life, someone has always been there to get rid of them.  My dad, my roommates, my boyfriend - all brave souls who made my world spider-free.

But now it's just me.  Tucker and Bobo proved to be useless, as I don't think they even noticed the intruder.  And as I was freaking out, the spider calmly moved to a location I could not reach him.  I missed my chance!  So as I finished getting ready, I would continually check on where I *thought* the spider was.  I was terrified he was poisonous (yes - it was that big), so I googled the first chance I got.  Of course, the images freaked me out, and that journey was short lived.  I am hoping that he escaped out however he got in, and the dogs will scare him from coming back!

So - what does a girl do now?  I don't know!  One of his little friends arrived later that night, and he met immediate death thanks to a good flip-flop.  Hopefully he shouted a warning to others venturing this way.  That should keep them away, right?  I also promptly purchased some Ortho Home Defense.  You'd better believe I stayed up late spraying that stuff.  Try getting in now, suckers.

4 comments:

  1. a) Is that spray pet-friendly?!

    b) I had no less than a 5 minute conversation with a HUGE cricket in my hall closet last night (who was also out of range) but who insists on chirping LOUDLY at all hours. It went "OK you disgusting cricket. I'm going to bed. This is be bringing trust to our relationship. However, if I find you in my bedroom EVER, it's over. Over."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole - trust me. Much research was done on the spider spray prior to application. The dogs were kept out of the house during spraying and for a little bit after.

    As for the cricket, warn him that a pink flip-flop has been known to inflict damage, and your friend Liz is no longer afraid to wield it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cricket rejected my offer of trust. He moved into my bathroom under the toilet.

    Really.

    I declared war and tried vacuuming around the edge with my extender thingy to suck him out. No luck. So I sprayed RAID a ton....which also made my bathroom off limits for about 10 hrs from the fumes....

    But this morning? Quiet...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so proud of your RAID warfare. I think it sounds like you have probably successfully taken out the enemy.

    Better hope he didn't radio to any of his little friends.

    ReplyDelete