Monday, June 21, 2010

Just Keep....Running

In the midst of all the packing and moving, I haven't forgotten about my other big project - training for the Indianapolis Half Marathon in October.  To be really honest, there has been a day or two during the past week where I probably would have just given up the plan.

I tend to give things up easily when they relate directly to me.  If it's for other people, for work, even for my dogs...I'll stick it out to the end.  But things that are just for me, or to make me healthier/better/etc... - well, those sometimes fall by the wayside in order to accomplish the other goals.

But, this time there is a bigger driver behind my training for a half marathon.  This time I am running to help raise money for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  Team in Training is already proving to be an amazing experience.  I missed the group run on Saturday (due to the move), but I met with Ali at the LLS offices to talk fundraising.  The whole organization is so friendly and helpful - they want you to succeed and fulfill both your monetary and personal goals.  I also ran into another "team member" at the Running Company, and it was just so nice to recognize someone!  I'm definitely meeting new people by doing this.

So why would I be at a point of giving up you ask?  Well, two reasons.  One - it's really easy for me to have excuses (usually the dogs) to not go running.  That's a lot easier now with no one helping to share in the care for them.  I feel bad leaving them even more to go run.  I've gotten over that though.  Today was their first day home "alone" in the new place, and they seem to have done great.  (However, I am looking for a dog walker, so please send suggestions my way!)

The second reason is....the humidity!  I have been trying to run after work, and that is not working.  It is so warm by 5pm, and I have not been hydrating enough during the day.  It makes for really terrible runs after work.  So I am going to try a few new times over the next few days to see how things go.

I am really inspired by the team and by actually running for a cause.  When I think about not going for a training run, I check out my donation page.  I am 35% to my goal - so I would not only be letting the LLS down, but also all of these people that are supporting me!

So, despite everything and all my own negative thoughts, I keep running.

(And 35% isn't 100% - so take a moment to donate!  It will make you feel really, really good and you get one of these adorable thank you cards! *Courtesy of Katie Q Designs*)

No comments:

Post a Comment