Thursday, June 24, 2010

Uncharted Territory

Okay, so maybe the title here is a little dramatic.  However, it's very, very true for me - dating is completely uncharted waters for me.

As noted earlier, my last relationship lasted a long time (longer than most hamsters live).  And although I dated in high school - that's not really adult dating.  And college - well, college dating should be in its own category for so many reasons.  Here are a few:

  • "Dates" are almost always on campus.
  • You can usually pay the bill with your ID Card.
  • Going back to someone's house involves a fraternity, and sometimes a cold dorm (if you don't know what those are, be thankful.).
  • Once you are officially "together," it's pretty rare that you continue to do the "dating."  Basically, you live like college students and promise to go home together after the bar closes.
Even after college, my previous boyfriend and I rarely "dated."  And let's be honest - I think I paid the bill as frequently as he did.

**Important side note - I am completely a modern girl.  I don't mind paying or splitting.  But there is something to be said for feeling taken care of or treated special every now and again!

So, now the uncharted territory makes a little more sense.  I haven't done this.  I haven't given cute boys my number, or gone on dates, or worried about how the after-dinner kiss will be.

It makes me really nervous.  I am not good in new situations - I get wrapped up in trying to be appealing/perfect/etc.... and then I get awkward.  And what if conversation runs out!?  What's a go-to topic?  Clearly, according to this news clipping (circa 1955), I should not talk about my dress.  Got it.  I am a preparer, but I do get that notecards would be weird (or would they....).

So I hem and haw and wait.  Inevitably my first date will be painfully awkward, but maybe after the first one, I'll at least have some idea of how it is all supposed to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment