Sunday, June 13, 2010

Team in Training

Earlier I mentioned Team in Training.  After the whole "cleansing my life" decision, it's the first thing that I decided to do that the "Old Liz" (OL) probably wouldn't have done.

As part of moving on, I knew that I needed to stay busy and try new things.  It's been over a year since I did the Geist Half Marathon, and I loved the feeling of accomplishment that I had after completing it.  But I did a walk/run combo, and I didn't exactly finish feeling great physically.  So I never really thought about doing another half marathon.

In talking with a friend/co-worker, I was reinvigorated to start running again.  Being totally self-absorbed here - I loved the way I looked when I was training!  So why not start again?  (Have to get back in the singles scene, right?)  And I also mentioned that I possibly wanted to do some volunteering.  Thank goodness for smart friends!  She suggested joining The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training.  A great conversation and a little research later, I was signed up to run the Indianapolis Half Marathon in October.

So far, it seems great.  My goal is to raise $1500 is support of LLS, and actually run the whole race (not walk/run) this time.  The LLS does a ton of work to support both my training goal and my fundraising goal.  In order to help ensure you feel ready, they provide a coach, mentor, and team to train with.

My first group training run was Saturday.  Here in town, it was approximately 80 degrees and 99% humidity by the time the 7am start rolled around.  My thought?  "I'm going to die."  Well, I didn't!  And I am truly excited about doing more and more running with the group.  I think that they are going to be a great motivator for the whole training program.

So - there's the second part of the blog name.  You, my faithful readers, will be following me through this running journey, as well as the exploration of single life.  The best way to support this single girl is to laugh through the stories of hitting the new life.  But the best way to support my running and the LLS?  Contribute!  Seriously, please consider donating to the LLS and my TNT goal.  You can use this link, and continue to follow my training right here on the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment